Laurie Montgomery - President
With a tremendous love for sales and promotion Laurie has achieved many career goals that she set for herself when starting off in the music business.
1. Retail During the two years Laurie was with Musicland, she was given four stores that were the worst in the district and brought them all into profit making status.
2. One Stop / Buyer After joining Abbey Road Distributors (One Stop), she was able to work with Bruce Ogilvie for over 4 years. Starting off in Sales where she attained status as the #1 Sales Rep with help from her customers loyalty. Laurie’s next projects along with the sales was becoming the original Compact Disc Buyer and creating the Video and Laserdisc Department for Abbey Road. Abbey Road was sold for $35,000,000.00 just 3 years later.
3. Home Entertainment – Manufacturer / Distributor Image Entertainment (Largest Manufacturer and Distributor of Laser Discs, now DVD for four years). Being a team player helped her to be successful in sales for her and the company. While there Image stock prices rose from $3 to over $11 in 3 years. Laurie sold her shares and moved to Stockholm, Sweden.
4. International Record Label – International Sales & Marketing Laurie worked with an up and coming label called Swemix as the International marketing and label manager. When she joined Swemix, they were riding the success of Dr. Alban, a platinum selling artist in several countries and just starting with Ace of Base. She was able to successfully deal with many countries, personalities, licensing, press, radio, TV and artists. With the success of building up the SWEMIX Image and label, they received tremendous sales with platinum and gold records winning International awards, MTV Europe working with SWEMIX label group such as Ace of Base, Robin S, Sound Factory, Dr. Alban. After 3 years that company was sold for over $10,000,000.00 to BMG Germany.
5. Audio Distribution MS Distributors hired Laurie to develop their WEST COAST Southern CA. presence by creating strong working relationships with the Buyers for Major Retail chains (Best Buy, Wherehouse, Tower, Virgin) as well as some independents. Laurie achieved with independent labels sales and promotion over $300k per month.
After 4 years with MS Distributors, Laurie had an opportunity arise to help run the newly formed Atlanta based 404 Music Group and do sales for MDI Distribution Company. By coming to the East Coast, Laurie has developed strong relationships with a variety of labels and artists as well as the East Coast Retail Chains. Having chosen to work with Nina K. Easton, Laurie knew that she would triple her knowledge and work skills. In 2008 Laurie became President of 404 Music Group which is celebrating it’s 15 year anniversary and MDI Distribution which is celebrating their 30th.
You can contact Laurie @ laurie[at]mdidistribution.com
Pattie Howard - President, Gospel Division
Pattie Howard was born in Cleveland Ohio, began studying violin at age 7, wrote her first composition winning first place in the Cleveland public school classical competition citywide in her second year. Pattie recorded her first song at age 13 as lead singer in the gospel group "All God's Children" and began singing professionally at age 17, traveling world wide with various artists.
She is a music industry veteran who has released two albums with major record labels, RCA Records and Light Records. Howard, who owns her own full service entertainment company, PH Balanced Music, is also known for singing background for many major artists including Whitney Houston, Gladys Knight, Queen LaTifah, Madonna, Andrae Crouch, Michael Jackson, Lisa Stanfield, and Diana Ross. She has dozens of gold and platinum albums to her credits encompassing artists from almost every genre. Howard landed one of her most profound gigs traveling the world with Whitney Houston at the height of her career, The Bodyguard Era. During the early 2000s after a serious illness, Howard returned to songwriting, music production, mixing, and mastering and is currently singing (solo & background), doing vocal arrangements, and producing various artists/bands.
You can contact Pattie @ pattie[at]mdidistribution.com
Ryan Meyers - Digital Division | Media & Graphics Manager
Ryan Meyers joined the MDI team at the age of 16 as just an intern. Since that time he has worked in almost every aspect of the company from warehouse & shipping to label relations & media design. He currently acts as our lead Media & Graphics manager; handling all Graphic Design, Digital Dept. and Video Production, as well as working with our website and dealing directly with iTunes.
Throughout his time at MDI, Ryan has worked on projects for some of our largest artists & labels in the business, including album & CD and Poster art for Comedian Michael Colyar, Tina Guo Cellist (Cirque Du Soleil Michael Jackson, Film Scoring with Hans Zimmer for Inception, Game of Thrones, the New Mazda Commercial etc.) , Stafford Floyd, Kebra, music video production for Olivia McClurkin and the documentary Becoming Barack.
Because of his success with MDI, Ryan was able to start his own label and production company, High City Productions, which is distributed through MDI and features acts such as hip-hop & electronic artist, DJ a.lectronic. After graduating with his Bachelor's in Digital Cinema & Media in 2014, he has been working on producing and distributing short films in festivals around the world including the Temecula Valley Int. Film Festival in Southern California and Busan Int. Film Festival in South Korea.
You can contact Ryan @ ryanmeyers[at]mdidistribution.com
Kenneth K. Spellman - Founder and CEO of Soundcheck Media Group and Soundcheck iRadio
Soundcheck Media Group serves the entertainment industry by providing a variety of services including artist management, distribution, A&R, project management, event planning, and marketing.
Soundcheck iRadio Network provides broadcast services and operates ten internet stations and manages five client stations.
Ken credits his tenacity, dedication and can-do attitude to his Army & Air Force experience. Ken’s career spans over thirty years in broadcast management and the entertainment business including management, programming, technology, marketing, sales, social media, artist management, A&R, distribution and production. Ken is also an Instructor at Connecticut School of Broadcasting.
Ken’s “create-the box” approach sets him apart in marketing & promoting the products and services of his clients. He is often called upon by radio clients to provide initial consultations, hardware recommendations, software installations, technical support, programming assistance, and training to broadcast facilities worldwide.
With over 12 years of experience in the use, training and support of Radio Computing Services (RCS) suite of broadcasting software (GSelector, Selector / Linker SQL, Zetta, Master Control, NexGen, Radioshow RDS, Media Monitors, and Media Base) Ken is often called upon by broadcast clients worldwide to provide initial consultations, hardware recommendations, software installations, technical support, programming assistance, and training. Ken has been instrumental in the launch and success of numerous broadcast start-ups including Sirius, WMIB-FM, KQBT-FM, WJZD-FM, WLML-FM, and various internet stations.
As the first African American Program Manager of Sirius satellite radio Mr. Spellman was instrumental in the establishment and development of the initial eight R&B channels. While in this position he hosted a radio show, trained other programmers, recruited celebrity talent (including MC Lyte, DJ Grandmaster Flash, Usher, Earth, Wind & Fire, Bebe Winans, Kurtis Blow, Dana Dane). Ken was also called upon to represent Sirius during automotive and other third party partnership negotiations.
Ken has been a guest speaker at numerous technology and industry related events including the Billboard R&B Convention, Radio & Records Conference (R&R), Arbitron Urban Programmers Panel , The Urban Network, A3C, SXSW, The Grammy Awards, New Music Seminar, CES, Black College Radio Convention.
Over the years Ken has developed a strong network of industry professionals and celebrities covering every genre of the entertainment business. Ken has been instrumental in various aspects of the careers of Joyce Sims, DJ Grandmaster Flash, Dana Dane, and Chubb Rock, Usher, and MC Lyte. He works with various independent record labels, managers, and technology companies. He currently has distribution deals with MDI Distribution and Mytunes Digital Distribution.
Kenneth continues to pursue his Masters, is a member of the Recording Academy and a Licensed Realtor with Continental Properties.
You can contact Ken @ ken[at]mdidistribution.com